Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Puppy and Playmates

Over the past few days (4 to be exact) our little Steinway has been very sick.  Last Thursday we noticed him not walking well and just being very lethargic.  It would remind you a lot of a drunk dog (and I know all of you have seen those on occasion).  He was just real wobbly and shaky.  He didn't really want to walk period, he spent all day long Thursday on the couch asleep, we even had to physically pick him up to take him outside to potty.  So, we alerted our very accommodating vet tech friend of Steinways symptoms and ask him to please mention it to his vet on Friday morning.  So...at 7:30 Friday morning Josh calls us and says they think we should bring him in for a check.  Well, by Friday he was pretty much not walking at all.  I had to pull him from his crate and carried him into the kitchen where I sat him on the linoleum to eat and he just collapsed.  His little legs just couldn't hold him up.  I was so grateful that we could get him in to see his doctor.  Once she checked him, she determined he'd had a reaction to a vaccine that he'd had 2 weeks prior.  He had a temp of 104 and was having flu like symptoms so he was super achy (thus not able to stand himself up).  Now, I have never seen a dog act like this and I must tell you, it was the most pitiful thing I have ever seen.  He was completely helpless and could no longer jump on & off the couch and couldn't even manage the one step off the porch to go potty.  But after getting on some meds and acquiring lots of rest, Sunday he began to show signs of his usual self.  Yesterday he even got the nerve to jump on and off the couch again.

Also, this past weekend my sister, her husband, and my nieces were in for a couple of days.  I managed to snap a few pics of them and of "Steinways" (as Elizabeth calls him).  Even though Steinways wasn't up to really playing with the girls, he very peacefully sat while Catherine stuck her finger in his nose, played with his eyes & Elizabeth tried to smother him a few times with his blanket.  He loves them as much as they love him and I'm sure he loved every minute of the poking and proding.
 
Catherine enjoying a yummy cupcake & trying to figure out why I'm holding my phone in her face.
 Elizabeth "holding" Steinways, making him feel better.
 This is him resting at our house one day during his down days.

This is Elizabeth making Grandads hair "beautiful" at my shop after we cut Nana's hair.  No matter what he says, he LOVES this.  I used to do the same thing to him when I was Elizabeth's age.

No comments:

Post a Comment