Sunday, January 29, 2012

32 And Counting...

Whatever with the past has gone, the best is always yet to come. --Lucy Larcom


Birthdays are very special milestones in our lives.  We are all born with one and consistently have one each year, whether  celebrated or completely overlooked. Personally, as a child I always anticipated my birthdays.  Being in January, and back 25 or 30 years ago, it actually snowed and upon occasion it snowed enough to ruin any birthday plans/sleepovers that I may have been looking forward to.  But even so, it meant that I was another year older and usually meant I got to open presents, eat cake, and enjoy time with my friends and family.  However, as I grew in years my birthdays somehow seemed less important.  But that inner child inside me still leaped for joy as January 29th approached.

This birthday, however, was one that I anticipated.  Definitely not because I was turning 32 but because we made plans back in September to have a long weekend with our good friends in a nice secluded spot in the mountains.  Thankfully it didn't snow (even though secretly I was hoping to get snowed in for a day or two) and we were able to go on with our plans as scheduled and had a fabulous time. 

The cabin that we had chosen was conveniently located at the tip top of a windy, stomach churning at times, mountain.  But with it being up so incredibly high it proved to have one of the most amazing views.  This was one of those times that I really wish I had a camera that would actually do the scenery justis.
This was the windy road way down below our cabin

This was looking out across Gatlinburg

We had many games and such right at our fingertips to keep us busy and entertained.  The guys were super excited to know that there would be a pool table and frankly I couldn't have been more happy to see the pac-man game.  However, the pool table ended up being a little less than to be desired.  Shiloh was the only one who came up with a great idea of a use for a 5ft pool table.
You can't see it in this pic, but she is snuggled up watching her "toons".  After all, it's her vacation too.

I still can't believe just how quickly vacations come and go and our little weekend definitely flew by way too fast.  But it's so nice to be able to get away for a little peace and quiet with such great company.  And G was already planning our next road trip on the way home.  Oh...and I thought I would give the husband a little props on such a great birthday gift!  How did he know that I would LOVE a Douney & Bourke Mickey/Minnie purse??

I love him and I love that he supports my need to travel.  Here's to many more years of road trips and celebrating birthdays or any other occasion that calls for "getting away".

No comments:

Post a Comment